[Tagging] POIs

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 00:54:12 GMT 2012

Hi,
On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 1:37 AM, Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com> wrote:

> How would you connect POIs that have no address?
> Janko

  Logically, you would make the connection through some kind of permanent
ID - not literally an address. I believe there have been various
discussions about permanent IDs, but nothing has been implemented. Various
people (myself included) have at times (mis)used objects' IDs in this way,
but their stability is not guaranteed, and smart people who know what
they're talking about recommend strongly against doing this.

> A large proportion of POIs are very relevant in that context, so
>> presumably a new mechanism for generating maps involving at least two
>> distinct data bases would be required?

Yeah, you'd definitely need a service that combines the two. Or rather,
services that combine the OSM database with various other non-OSM databases
is useful ways. But I don't think that's such a big deal - if I understand
correctly, data downloads are all handled through service calls currently:
no one downloads a copy of the actual raw OSM database itself.

Steve