[Tagging] SF Muni tram lines are layer=1?

Clay Smalley claysmalley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 06:50:38 GMT 2012

I noticed the majority of the trackage of the San Francisco Muni lines are
tagged as layer=1, while the streets along which they run have no layer tag
(an implied layer=0).
If the Muni lines are layer=1, it is my understanding that the Muni lines
should be physically above the street.
Since this is not the case and the lines run at street level, should I
remove the layer tag on these specific tracks (to imply layer=0)?

(Of course, some of these lines run through tunnels where they are tagged
layer=-1, and on bridges where they are tagged layer=1 correctly. The layer
tag on these bits of track would remain untouched.)

--
Clay