[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Kitchen hours

Tyler Gunn tyler at egunn.com
Thu Feb 9 14:17:51 GMT 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 4:32 AM, Daniel Herding <DHerding at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hallo everyone!
> There are many restaurants etc. that close their kitchen early in the evening. Afterwards, you can no longer order hot food, only drinks and cold snacks. Similarly, at some restaurants the kitchen opens at noon, but you can already go there earlier and order e.g. coffee and muffins.
> I think that we should include this information in OpenStreetMap. Here is my proposal:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Kitchen_hours
> Please comment the proposal on its discussion wiki page.

I wonder if this couldn't be made a bit more generic to encapsulate
other time-frames within an establishment's opening hours.

For example in a restaurant:
opening_hours=Mo-Fr 08:00-23:00
opening_hours:breakfast=Mo-Fr 08:00-10:00
opening_hours:lunch=Mo-Fr 11:00-13:00
opening_hours:supper_buffer=Fr 18:00-20:00

This would allow a mapper to highlight important time constraints
relevant to a particular business.

Imagine also a public swimming pool:
opening_hours=Mo-Fr 10:00-20:00
opening_hours:public_swim=Mo 18:00-20:00;We 18:00-20:00;Fr 18:00-20:00

I'd propose that the sub-tags could really be anything a mapper finds
important to an establishment.  When displaying the details for an
establishment, I could imagine displaying a "timeline" for the current
day, shading in the general opening hours, and then putting a little
bar in rows below to highlight the "important" time spans within the
current day.

Tyler