[Tagging] Star ("*") character in tags?

Ole Nielsen on-osm at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 14 18:58:27 GMT 2012

I'm considering some changes to the syntax of the lane_group proposal
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Lane_group .

The syntax of the proposal in some cases allows empty lane values in the
value list (nothing between two commas), e.g. to indicate default value
or 'not applicable'. This can result in poorly readable tag values like
"=,,70". My idea is to add a "wildcard" for empty lane values using the
"*" character.

Is this character in any way 'reserved' in OSM? (API, mapnik, editors
etc). The wiki uses * as wildcard but in my proposal the * character
will never appear alone in the value field.

Ole N / polderrunner