[Tagging] man_made

Tyler Gunn tyler at egunn.com
Sun Feb 19 15:40:52 GMT 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Amanda <amandaclt at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello!
> new here. don't know if it's the right place to address this issue, sorry if
> i'm mistaken..
> my suggestion is: MAN MADE should be called HUMAN MADE

I think in this context, the reference to MAN is referring to the
human individual as representing the species, without referencing
gender.  Beside, human contains MAN so I think we're ultimately
splitting hairs here.

Ultimately the fact the tag is called "man_made" isn't really
important though; its just a logical category used to group related
items.  These tag names are typically used by the map renderer, for
example, to determine which icon should be shown on the map, etc.  So
when this data is consumed we'll typically see these values go away
anyways.

Tyler