[Tagging] man_made

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Sun Feb 19 17:53:45 GMT 2012

Amanda,

This would be the right place to discuss tagging-related topics like
the one you're raising.

Let me start by saying that it is not straightforward at all to just
change an established convention: not only would we need to change
every occurence of this tag in the database, we'd also need to change
many of the tools that depend on this convention being in place (think
of editors that have presets for man_made=*, but there's more), and
maybe most importantly, all mappers would need to relearn the
convention which would lead to much confusion. So there would have to
be a really, really compelling reason to change something that is a
well-established convention (i.e. something that is listed on the Map
Features page[1]).

Secondly, man-made is defined as something created by humans, be they
male or female. What is your argument for proposing this change?

Martijn

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features