[Tagging] Voting for Relation type=waterway

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Sun Feb 19 15:53:37 GMT 2012

On 19/02/12 11:56, Werner Hoch wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 19.02.2012, 22:16 +1100 schrieb Steve Bennett:
>> The proposal looks pretty sensible to me. I just wish there was a
>> meaningful process we could follow. Probably what we really want to do
>> is deprecate any alternative tagging schemes, and direct people to
>> this one.
> As soon as the the proposal gets approved the other relations can be
> declared deprecated.
>
> The usage of type=river decreased over the last year as the major
> waterway contributors already switched to the type=waterway scheme.
>
> I think an approved proposal would give us enough support to start the
> cleanup of the older tagging schemes.
>
> I'd be of course one of the volunteers to unify the taggings.

I do not agree with the whole basis of this thread.

There are no such things as approved tags, tagging is open and people
are free to use *any* tags they like.

There are no such things as deprecated tags, tagging is open and people
are free to use *any* tags they like.

A vote by a few people is certainly not a justification to begin mass
edits or wide spread change of other people's carefully chosen work.

Discuss: certainly, document: yes please, impose your will over
thousands over other mappers: no.

Advertise your ideas and encourage acceptance. Show how well it works
any why it is better but don't use a phoney voting process ignored by
the vast majority as a mandate for action.

If you must deprecate, end voting!
Cheers, Chris

--
Cheers, Chris