[Tagging] Voting for Relation type=waterway

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Sun Feb 19 20:00:42 GMT 2012

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net> wrote:
> Advertise your ideas and encourage acceptance. Show how well it works any
> why it is better but don't use a phoney voting process ignored by the vast
> majority as a mandate for action.

Voting is a valuable process. Discussions, while valuable, can go on
and on forever; at some point you need to get a more definitive up or
down for what the community thinks of a given proposal, though of
course people can use whatever tags they want. Depending on how you
define "vast majority", I'd say their tagging practices are definitely
impacted (but not defined) by the votes, as they impact (but not
define) the presets of JOSM/Potlatch/etc, and thus impact (but not
define) how contributors (especially casual ones) tag objects. If we'd
like to change terminology from vote to poll and approved to consensus
then I'd be fine with that.

-Josh