[Tagging] Voting for Relation type=waterway

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 23:38:15 GMT 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 2:53 AM, Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net> wrote:
> I do not agree with the whole basis of this thread.
>
> There are no such things as approved tags, tagging is open and people are
> free to use *any* tags they like.
> Advertise your ideas and encourage acceptance. Show how well it works any

How would you know whether a tag had "acceptance"? Wouldn't
documenting it somewhere make sense? Maybe...in a wiki? What would you
call "acceptance"? Would "approved" be a reasonable synonym for that?

The wiki and (currently broken) approval mechanism is not some
horrible bureaucracy that exists to ruin your life. It's there so we,
as a community, can document the tags we use, and agree on how we use
them. While it's ok to spontaneously invent a new tag and use it to
solve your current problem, you can surely see the benefits of
everyone eventually converging on the same tag?

And if so, what would you do with all the old tags that people used
before you converged? Wouldn't you "deprecate" them?

Steve