[Tagging] Voting for Relation type=waterway

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 21:37:14 GMT 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net> wrote:
> No. It implies some official status that leads people to remove other tags,
> sometimes with mass edits.

IMHO that doesn't follow at all. If people are doing unwanted mass
edits, then we should find a way to discourage them. The solution is
not to discard any notion of an official or accepted tag.

> Just think this through. Approval implies some sort of enforcement, without
> enforcement what is the point of approval? Just who would make this
> enforcement happen and how? What would that do to an open project? If only
> approved tags are used then how would mappers map what they actually see?
> Wait weeks for some committee to discuss, argue and approve or reject the
> tag? If you are free to use any tag, what is an approval process for?

You're making a lot of unfounded assumptions. I'm not sure where to start.
- Approval does not imply enforcement. I don't know why you'd think
that. Just because we have rules doesn't mean anyone particularly
"enforces" them.
- "if only approved tags are used" - I explicitly said that it's ok to
invent tags to solve a particular problem, then work with others to
converge on a convention
- "....then how would mappers map what they actually see" - by using
the documented tags, and if that doesn't work, extending them, or
inventing new ones.
- "wait weeks..." - no. It definitely doesn't follow that you should
wait for some process rather than using a tag. You should use the best
tag available, and update as a result of community consensus.
- "if you are free to use any tag, what is an approval process for" -
well, I'm not arguing for a particular process. But the answer is "so
people tag as consistently as possible with each other".

> Flattening the tag structure by homogenising tags is destroying the fine
> detail, sometimes carefully crafted by mappers and I will continue to speak
> out against mass edits that attempt to do just that.

Again, you're making unwarranted assumptions. I haven't suggested
anything like that.

Steve