[Tagging] How to tag the width of a gate

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 12:42:12 GMT 2012

Am 26. Februar 2012 13:17 schrieb Mike Valiant <mike_valiant at hotmail.com>:
> That not what the wiki for maxwidth says: " a width limit for using the way"
>  - no mention of whether it is a legal restriction or not. And in the
> discussion of maxwidth "width restriction can be physical, or purely legal"

the wiki is not always easy to read, but you can get the clue if you
look at several pages:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:width links to maxwidth with
this text: "width restriction for vehicles on a road"
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxwidth has a big sign on the
right (legal restriction) and links to access for "other
restrictions", where the first sentence is: "Access values are used to
describe the legal access for highway=*s and other facilities..."

The discussion page of maxwidth that you mention links to maxheight
discussion. On maxheight discussion it gets pointed out that maxheight
is a legal restriction and that a proposal for physical maxheight is
to be found here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/clearance
this page shows that there was no support for maxheight:legal (because
maxheight is already legal) but there was support for
maxheight:physical

FYI: I added the word "legal" to maxwidth now, so in the future there
will be less confusion.

cheers,
Martin