[Tagging] Public land mapping

Shawn Michael osm at monkeyspunk.net
Sun Feb 26 23:38:41 GMT 2012

I agree that boundary=protected_area seems to be the best fit so far. 
However there's really no classification under "protect_class=" that 
fits the bill.

I'd almost like to see #27 added under social-protected-area 
with the description of "Public ground owned by Government entity (BLM, 
Forest Service, some Freedom to Roam land)."

I guess if the above was made then the following tagging scheme may work:

	operator=Bureau of Land Management
	protection_title=Public Access Land

State owned (Montana specific titles):
	name=Montana State Land Trust
	operator=Montana State Land Trust
	protection_title=Public Access Land

Forest service
	name=National Forest
	operator=National Forest Service
	protection_title=Public Access Land

On 02/26/2012 02:37 AM, � wrote:
> Hello,
> Am 25.02.2012 23:36, schrieb Shawn Michael:
>> Specifically in the maps, I can easily see how to tag the green items
>> on the maps, as those are National Forest Service lands. Although
>> there is a bit of confusion here as well. Not all of the Forest
>> Service lands are covered by forest. So I guess my question is how
>> are you tagging public lands?
> First reading you post I thought it's about mapping ownership in
> general. But after spending some more thoughts I think this falls more
> into the mapping on actually relevant use permissions/restrictions. So
> the closest concept is probably boundary=protected_area although it
> perhaps doesn't fit exactly.
> As you mentioned the concept of "public land" could be rather specific
> to some countries, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam gives
> some aspects.
> Michael
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging

More information about the Tagging mailing list