[Tagging] highway=stop as relation

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon Jan 2 20:33:23 GMT 2012

Hi,

I am wondering whether highway=stop would be better implemented as a
relation. With two-, three- and four-way stop intersections being very
common in the US, I find that tagging those as nodes is not the most
efficient way. Moreover, tagging as nodes can be ambiguous and
requires processing if you want to use the stop signs for routing
guidance, for example.

How about implementing this as a relation between the intersection
node and the ways leading toward the intersection. For a four-way
stop, all four ways would be in the relation; for other situations,
only the ways approaching the intersection that have a stop sign. This
would require you to split the way at the intersection, as with turn
restrictions. A similar proposal was made on the discussion page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:highway%3Dstop#Why_not_use_Relation:restriction.3F

Best,
--
martijn van exel