[Tagging] Rd --> Road

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 08:08:18 GMT 2012

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:

> What in particular were the complaints made against the fixbot?
> Can/should the fixbot be improved to take them into account?
>
> Also, I wonder where this was documented? I see no reference to this
> fixbot on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_fixup or
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER.

The name expansion happened right before I joined OSM so this is just
my impression from a brief search of talk-us mailing list archives.

It seems like the expansion bot was not discussed much with the
community before it was run. I think this was part of the reason some
people didn't like it. Maybe it was discussed somewhere else but I
can't find any talk about it on the talk-us mailing list archives
until after Andrzej had run it. The discussion that ensued can be seen
in the April 2010 archives of talk-us. Both the "Street Naming
Conventions " and the "Admin boundaries tied to roads" threads contain
discussion about it:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2010-April/thread.html

Of particular interest, this message explains a little how things progressed:
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2010-April/003060.html

I would not be opposed to expanding the remainder of the TIGER data. I
agree that things should be consistent and I think long-form names is
a better way of doing things.

Toby