[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - /entrance/door - Indoor mapping - Buildings

LM_1 flukas.robot+osm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 23:04:06 GMT 2012

Hi,
Generally I am in favour of 3D and very detailed mapping even of
buildings' inside, but putting number of nodes inside a building
outline just does not seem very sensible. It seems like stretching the
current mapping model far beyond it should ever be.
For how to do it, I believe that there would have to be some object
model so that one could edit it separately from the rest of the map.
This would generally consist of several layers - one for each
different level. It would require editor support. It would allow to
accurately map the whole building even with the shops/offices...
inside. Maybe it could save some space, because inside of the building
would have its own coordinates - no need to relate it to the whole
world and measure in latitude/longitude - meters would be more
sensible in this case. The whole object would be placed in the map.
(Add textures and you have almost 3D buildings like Google or Nokia).
 Specifically for your proposal's details: I do not see any good
reason why an inside door (entrance to living room) should be tagged
differently than an outside door (entrance to building). That is
apparent from the door location - part of building outline.
Dividing rooms as safe/unsafe is not reliable and therefore not a good
reference point for everything else. If you go from a corridor to some
room, it is clear, if you go from one room to another they are the
same. There is already an established division between left/right door
- no need to invent a new one. (After a bit of research it seems that
English language is not as clear as Czech and there is some
confusion). The accessibility information section is confusing and and
inconsistent. door:automatic=(no)/yes(non-specified of the
following)/switch(button)/remote/card(RFID or
swipe)/proximity/biometric/...

Cheers
Lukas (LM_1)