[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - /entrance/door - Indoor mapping - Buildings

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Thu Jan 5 16:07:32 GMT 2012

Hi Andreas.
I didn't vote (yet), because I'm a little bit ambiguous about it.
On the one hand I like detail mapping and even indoor mapping ideas, but
- and here is the (or at least one) comment you requested:

Indoor mapping leads to mapping in more than one level in buildings most
often.
Currently that's often done at
- bridges and tunnels - using ways intersecting in the editor
- shops in malls etc. that have more than one level - here it's most
often nodes, and therefore not very complicated.

One big problem with complex mapping scenarios is that it gets more
difficult to keep the data correct and up to date. That's a problem with
relations very often, yet, and it will be a much bigger problem with
indoor data, as I'm not able to fix a wrong building outline, if I'm not
able to check, fix or update the indoor data accordingly.

And it gets really much data in small areas very fast, if you start
mapping indoors.

 From my point of view I would not vote for your proposal as long as
there's no solution for handling indoor data, at least as a proof of
concept implementation in at least one of the editor programs.

There are more points in your proposal I would be able to give feedback
to, but my time is limited currently - probably you'll get more in
future from me ;)

regards
Peter