[Tagging] Health and other stories

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 15:26:04 GMT 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 9:42 AM, sabas88 <sabas88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Take the examples of dentist and prison, they
> aren't "pleasant" (http://www.wordreference.com/definition/amenity) :)

Perhaps "facility" would be a better word for such things?

There are some tags I'd very much like to see changed, but I've held
back from suggesting changes because I assumed that I'd just get told
it's too late, and nothing would happen...

I'll list the ones that jar most with me, anyway.  Some of these are
just mismatches between the common English use of a word and how we
use it in the tagging scheme.

power = station   for electricity substations; I think these should be
power = substation
power = generator for what I usually call "power stations"; I think
these should be power = station,
and power = generator should be for the main piece of
electromechanical equipment within them (just as we have power =
transformer for the actual transformers within a substation)

landuse = forest for non-naturally-occurring woodland; the word
"forest" as I understand it means something much larger than a wood,
but there are many small woods in England that have clearly been
planted deliberately but are not really a forestry operation; every
time I enter "natural = wood" for them I'm aware that they're probably
not natural.  However, I'm not sure what to suggest for a tree-covered
area that is neither really natural nor a proper plantation.  I
remember there was some discussion about land use vs land cover;
perhaps describing somewhere as being covered in trees (and optionally
indicating that it's a commercial operation) might be better.

Likewise, there are many lake-like or pond-like things that are
clearly not natural, but don't really match my understanding of the
term "reservoir".  (Perhaps more of them should be "basin"s?  But
those seem fairly specific.)

Anyway, this is partly just fussing about the mismatch between natural
language and a more formal language, I guess.

__John