[Tagging] Amenity parking

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 20:48:07 GMT 2012

2012/1/11 Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com>:
> On the first line of amenity=parking: it says "A parking lot is an
> area reserved for parking cars, trucks, motorcycles etc." Which is a
> broad and in my opinion good way to describe something: include
> everything by default. (See problems with natural=tree).

+1

> Further down
> it says "A default amenity=parking means a free public parking lot on
> surface." So it's as coherent as a wiki should be.. :-) And makes me
> think that there will be lots of bad data..

actually this is a recent wiki fiddling attempt. The default for
missing information is: missing information. Changing (or setting)
defaults after years of mapping cannot work.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Aamenity%3Dparking&action=historysubmit&diff=648803&oldid=640812

> I will gladly change my amenity=parking to what ever you decide. Does
> access=private work? The parking lots aren't private it's just that
> you can't park there.

access=private doesn't say that something is private, it means that
the right to access is private / given on an individual basis. Current
tagging practice (access=private AFAIK, also rendered differently in
Mapnik) does indeed seem wrong if you can access the parking (e.g. you
can cross it on foot or bike) but cannot park there.

cheers,
Martin