[Tagging] Amenity parking

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 21:53:00 GMT 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 21:48, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> it says "A default amenity=parking means a free public parking lot on
>> surface." So it's as coherent as a wiki should be.. :-) And makes me
>> think that there will be lots of bad data..
>
> actually this is a recent wiki fiddling attempt. The default for
> missing information is: missing information. Changing (or setting)
> defaults after years of mapping cannot work.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Aamenity%3Dparking&action=historysubmit&diff=648803&oldid=640812

Actually the proposal page from 2007 said "Generally only public
parking lots should be tagged,", but that page is now deleted so you
will have to trust me.. :-)

The page also says fee=* Default value is no.

So as much as it hurts me I must say that historically this tag is
only for public fee less parking, and that you have to change it to
something else for all other cases. I do not think this is very good
for the future.