[Tagging] Amenity parking

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 09:17:55 GMT 2012

access=private is a modifying tag - if it is used in conjuction with an
amenity=parking area then it means that the parking is private (and nothing
else). I guess you could use something more specific like parking=private,
but there are 1000s of uses of access=private in this context, so it's
unlikely to catch on.

access tags normally modify ways (as opposed to areas), and for routing
purposes you need to have ways across the land if the data is to be usable
(just around the periphery if there's no obvious paths across the middle).
So put in appropriate access tags (eg access=private+foot=yes) on the ways.

If the area is (for example) a field on which a handful of people have
parking rights, and never occupy more than a fraction of it, I'd have said
just mark a small parking area where they're most likely to park, and don't
put parking tags on the field as a whole.

Richard