[Tagging] Amenity swimming_pool (was Amenity parking)

Ben Johnson tangararama at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 22:24:34 GMT 2012

On 12/01/2012, at 19:10, Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 23:56, Simone Saviolo <simone.saviolo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2012/1/11 Ben Johnson <tangararama at gmail.com>:
>>> For a public access pool (eg run by a local government authority, or even a private operator who's main business is the swimming pool) usually charge an entry fee and have opening hours, so i'd use [access=permissive] - likewise for tennis clubs with public access for a fee, with set operating hours.
>>
>> Is permissive what we're looking for? I don't think so.
>> access=permissive means "you shouldn't go there, but I'll turn the
>> other way and pretend I don't see you".
>
> No it means you are free to go here but this is not public land.
>
> From wiki:
> "Open to general traffic until such time as the owner revokes the
> permission which they are legally allowed to do at any time in the
> future."

@simone Hi... Thanks! I've read that explanation elsewhere before and I can definitely see the usefulness of a tag that says that. If permissive is in widespread use for that purpose then that's all fine with me. I would've thought [access=unofficial] might be more appropriate for "clandestine" / "sneaky" access. Actually sounds like fun... I can see someone extracting these permissive ways and using them in an app for thrill-seeking adventurists!!! :-)

For my take on permissive, the best example I can think of is rural properties where you need to literally drive through private farms to get to your destination (which is usually another farm). In such cases, landowners grant permissive access to cross their private property. They may stipulate rules like: "leave the gate closed" / "leave the gate how you found it" / "no shooting", "no fruit picking", etc...

I'm not sure about their legal right to "revoke" access - especially if the only way in/out of your farm is to cross theirs, so they may have a legal obligation to always permit access.

So my take on permissive is its something generally publicly accessible, but you must adhere to the local rules they set otherwise you may be ejected.

That's why i consider it maybe reasonable to use it for (gated) "public" amenities like swimming pools and tennis clubs which people can access under permission granted by the owner/operator/club.

Im totally with you that the fee is a different thing altogether and applies to a variety of things.

@Erik my use of it blurs the "not public land" aspect of things. Example - a swimming pool can be on public land operated by a local government authority, but the public land is fenced off from free access. Or a group of tennis courts, on public land, fenced off - and maintained by a local community tennis club, but can be used by the general public for a fee. Likewise I've seen examples public swimming pools (usually ocean baths) and tennis courts (usually vandalized and poorly maintained) which are unfenced and unrestricted.

Im probably thinking about it all too much... I guess it shows what a complex world we live in and how surprisingly hard it is to neatly classify everything.

BJ