[Tagging] Amenity swimming_pool (was Amenity parking)

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 11:17:33 GMT 2012

"Permissive path" is a well-established term in the UK (at least in
England and Wales; Scottish law may differ concerning types of access
right, but I don't know the details).

According to the page "Basics of footpath law" on the UK Ramblers'
Assocation website
(http://www.ramblers.org.uk/info/britain/footpathlaw/footpathlaw.htm#path):

| Other paths, known as permissive routes, are open to the public
because the owner has given
| permission for them to be used: often there is a notice on the path
making clear the owner
| has no intention of dedicating the path as a right of way, and
reserving the right to withdraw
| the permission. These paths are sometimes closed for one day a year,
with a view to
| preventing claims that they are rights of way.

(The annual closure is often on Christmas Day, in the examples I've seen.)

I don't know whether the term is used this way other than for
footpaths (I've certainly not heard it used for swimming pools!)

__John