[Tagging] Amenity swimming_pool (was Amenity parking)

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 11:07:41 GMT 2012

2012/1/13 Ben Johnson <tangararama at gmail.com>:
> Okay that explains it very well. I have a friend with a farm who explained a
> little to me and the obligation makes perfect sense. But would you tag such
> ways as "private" or just leave them as default access?  Farms aside, I
> struggle to think of examples of permissive ways. The only thing I can think
> of is something like a pedestrian shortcut across a golf course, or a
> pedestrian way through an arcade or shopping centre.

It's actually a quite common case at least here in Italy. Up to a few
decades ago, it was common, especially in smaller towns, for houses to
be built around courts that were only connected to the public road
through a private passage. Let's see if my awesome ASCII art can make
it clearer:

===========================

AAAAAA BBBBBC
D           C
D   court   C
D           C
D  EEEEEFFFFF

public road

===========================

Every letter indicates a separate ownership. The complex would be
surrounded by other properties (not roads) on three sides, and the
only way for B to reach his house would be to go through the opening
on the bottom side (often with E's or D's house covering it and making
it a tunnel). So all of A, B, C, D, and F have a right to pass on the
(privately owned by E) opening.

On the semantics of access=permissive. I used to be confused too (not
that I'm not anymore; it's just that now I accept the definition).
"Permissive" sounds like you need a permit to go there, and in that
sense I found it perfectly fitting for the Italian ZTLs (=limited
traffic zone). Actually, it's more an equivalent of "tolerated"; but I
wonder how many newcomers have used it incorrectly, because it is very
counterintuitive at least for non-native English speakers. But, this
is what we have; should we change? And if yes, how?

Ciao,

Simone