[Tagging] access=no (was Amenity swimming_pool (was Amenity parking))

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Jan 17 15:19:08 GMT 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Forgive me, you used the phrase "publicly owned" and I jumped to the
> conclusion you were talking about land owned by {local,central} governments,
> and there is plenty of that, much of which is off-limits to the general
> public.

Sorry about that.  It's a confusing issue because, as you yourself
pointed out, public rights of way might be technically "owned" by
non-government entities, and land technically "owned" by government
entities might not be a public right of way.  (And in other cases
there might not even be a technical "owner".)

According to the Wikipedia article [[state ownership]], "There is a
distinction to be made between state ownership and public property.
The former may refer to assets operated by a specific organization of
the state used exclusively by their operators or that organization,
such as a research laboratory, while public property refers to assets
and resources that are available to the entire public for use, such as
a public park (see public space)."  I was referring to what that
Wikipedia article refers to as "public property", not "state
ownership".

And note that public property, such as a public park, is not open to
any type of use whatsoever.  The use public property is often
restricted by law.  "Public property" does not mean "anything goes".
In terms of ways, that would be things like "no bicycles", "buses
only", or "no horses".  That is very different from the restrictions
on a military base, or in a parking lot for court staff only.

> I still have problems making sense of your assertion that
> access=private doesn't make much sense on land that is publicly owned.

If land is marked access=private, there should be a meaningful answer
to the question "Who do I contact to get permission?"  And I don't
consider "lobby the government to change the law" to be a meaningful
answer.