[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Mapping guidelines

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 15:41:14 GMT 2012

For what it's worth. When I start rendering/printing maps based on OSM, I
think it's extremely ugly if the landuse is not 'connected' to the roads,
i.e. that the landuse uses separate parallel ways with a small space in
between for its definition.
I also prefer to create landuses as big as practically feasible, so
obviously I tend to include the streets in them. Bordering on other
landuses like railway and usually not including dual carriage highways. But
if it doesn't include the highway, then I most certainly reuse its nodes in
order to get a contiguous shape with no white between the landuse and the
road.
So you'll often observe me joining adjacent landuses for places I want to
render or places I get serious about retracing from Bing or cleaning up non
ODBL compliant data.

Polyglot