[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Mapping guidelines

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Wed Jan 18 01:27:11 GMT 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:
> For what it's worth. When I start rendering/printing maps based on OSM, I
> think it's extremely ugly if the landuse is not 'connected' to the roads,
> i.e. that the landuse uses separate parallel ways with a small space in
> between for its definition.

What looks ugly should not define how we map stuff. That's been said
so many times I'm not sure I should even mention it again. If the
looks are not to your liking, apply a different style sheet or fix it
in your rendering process. Sharing nodes between roads and landuse (or
any) polygons makes mapping more confusing and thus harder, so I would
recommend against doing that. I do a lot of 'ungluing' landuse from
ways where I live for that reason - and also because many of the
landuse polygons were created by a non-agreer who, in the process,
tainted a lot of ways.

--
martijn van exel
geospatial omnivore