[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Mapping guidelines

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Jan 18 02:24:49 GMT 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 10:18 -0500, Richard Weait wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2012/1/17 Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com>:
>
> >> it is
> >> simply not helpful from a practical point of view. What additional
> >> information do I gain from excluding the road from the landuse area, it is
> >> anyway clear that people do not live on roads.
> >
> > you get the border between public and private land. Why is that not
> > helpful or interesting?
>
> You get the border between public and private land _wrong_.  In my
> experience, the property line is not at the curb, but some distance
> back from the curb.  A reserved area is held for utilities, road
> expansion, snowplow debris, etc.
[...]
> There is not necessarily a direct connection between landuse and
> zoning.  Is a home-based daycare residential or commercial, or
> commercial / residential.  (Or residential commercial=permissive)
> What about a home-based medical practice or barber shop?

Depends on available sources used, and at least it's a starting point to
getting the refinement necessary to get the level of accuracy you're
talking about (in much the same way that TIGER got most of the US to
within "horseshoes and hand grenades" accurate in areas that were
previously, and often still are, information vaccuums in terms of places
OSM's army of volunteers hasn't yet grown large enough to see firsthand.