[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Mapping guidelines

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Wed Jan 18 21:06:16 GMT 2012

On 17/01/2012 12:45, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> . Residential roads are obviously part of a residential landuse.

People don't general live in the middle of the road (unless you're one
of Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen, of course).

Highways are maintained by local/national authorities not the local
inhabitants.

"This is just ridiculous:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=35.323225&lon=-119.077089&zoom=18 "

That looks fantastic. So much more accurate than the average area, If
it's physical - map it.

"Neither is a lawn or swimming pool."

Yes they are, because they're owned/maintained by them.

"It takes significantly longer to download an area. "

I disagree that it's "significant", but anyway, so what? It's more accurate.

"traveling to and from a house, parking cars, playing ball... "

I also use motorways, car parks & recreation grounds for those. Should I
be marking them as residential?

"But the landuse tag is for the "primary use of land by humans"

 From the wiki:
An area of land dedicated to, or having predominantly residential houses
or apartment buildings.

Which is a much better synopsis.

It's a matter of time & patience. If you've got both, map it as the
example above, if not, do it as one big area. The latter is OK, but the
former is more accurate, & I'm all for making OSM that.

Dave F.