[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Mapping guidelines

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 13:32:59 GMT 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Simone Saviolo
<simone.saviolo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I find it useless to map such wide areas as landuses. There's no point
> in tagging a whole village's area as landuse=residential, and there's
> no point in making a sixty-km-wide polygon to indicate that between
> Parma and Reggio Emilia there's cultivated land.

-1
Obviously landuse polygons have been created for wide areas at the
beginning. Ideally all land square meters should be covered by one
landuse polygon. Having one landuse=residential polygon for a village
is very common in OSM.

> As to residential roads, I don't think they are part of the landuse. I
> agree that "service"s (especially driveways) and "living_street"s are,
> but a residential road is not a place to live, nor it is meant to be
> used only by the residents.

-1
If we push your logic, only residential building footprints can be
tagged as landuse=residential (because the garden or the car park is
also not the place where you live). Of course, you can increase the
granularity of the landuse polygons if you wish but don't discourage
contributors to map wide landuse if they want.

Pieren