[Tagging] Level and type of school (ISCED, public/private/charter)

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Sat Jan 21 01:20:01 GMT 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 6:52 PM, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using what makes sense locally. For me that is,
>
> school:level={primary|secondary|...}
> school:sector={public|private}
> school:selective={yes|no}
>
> But perhaps I should be using school:au:level, school:au:selective and
> school:au:sector like Pieren is.
>
> Regardless I think it should be up to mappers inside an educational
> district to decide what makes sense for their region.
>
> In my region you could further mark if the private school is religious
> or not and the type of religion, but I haven't actually done any
> tagging like that.

I think creating some 205 different tagging schemes (one for each
country) is a bit excessive, and we don't do this for other tags.
However I'd agree that not every country will fit into one scheme. I
would propose almost exactly what you use, and I think it should work
for the vast majority of countries:

school:level={early|primary|secondary|tertiary}
school:sector={public|private}

But I suppose primary and secondary are the only ones that would be
used much in practice, since tertiary already would be covered
(in-part) by amenity=university, amenity=college, and early is covered
(in-part) by amenity=kindergarten.

Then of course each country is free to create it's own more detailed
system. In the US it would likely include
school:us:level={elementary,middle,high} since for some reason we
break secondary into two levels. Optionally people could use
school:level:isced= if they want a universal classification with more
levels than just school:level.

-Josh