[Tagging] Level and type of school (ISCED, public/private/charter)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 09:26:09 GMT 2012

2012/1/21 Michael Krämer <ohrosm at googlemail.com>:
> Am 21.01.2012 00:53 schrieb "Andrew Harvey" <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>:
>> In my region you could further mark if the private school is religious
>> or not and the type of religion, but I haven't actually done any
>> tagging like that.
>
> Recently there has been a discussion on the German list on how to tag
> religious schools. More specifically it started with the question whether to
> use the religion-key on schools or not.

+1, besides the "operator"-tag there are also "religion" and
"denomination" that could be used for this.

> There we quickly came across the question of Montessori of Waldorf schools.
> But there hasn't been any consensus for a particular tagging scheme in the
> end.

again "operator" and maybe some special attribute like waldorf=yes or
rudolf_steiner=yes or anthroposophy=yes

> So I'm also in favor of something rather flexible to account for all this.
> The school:subkey-method should be fine. But I would suggest to define some
> basic subkeys 'internationally' e.g. type. If everything is behind a
> country-key it might be harder to process automatically.

I'm also in favour of a flexible system that allows for rough
comparison internationally. Look at admin_level, also there, although
the political administration is working quite differently in different
countries, we have been able to create a system that allows us to
render the whole world with rules for 10 admin levels (instead of
hundreds what it could have become if every country had invented
dedicated tags for its own system).

cheers,
Martin