[Tagging] University with buildings in 2 cities

Gerhard Hermanns hermanns at ptt.uni-due.de
Wed Jan 25 11:12:28 GMT 2012

Hello,

I'd like to do some mapping on the university of Duisburg-Essen. As the
name suggests, this university has buildings in two cities and on
several locations in each city.

Also, I'd like to use the "type=site" relation for this (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Site ).

The "amenity=university" and the "name:de=Universität Duisburg-Essen"
(and corresponding "name:en=*" of course) I'd like to assign only once
for the parent relation of the university.
But I'm afraid that's overdoing it: I know we don't map for the
renderer, but in this case the name of the university will probably be
rendered somewhere in the middle of the two cities - in another city
(Mülheim).

The same problem on a smaller scale is within each city.

For now I think I'm going to put the tags on the relations of each
location, resulting in three to four name and amenity tags in each city.
But I'm still open for suggestions. Did anyone encounter the same problem?

Gerhard