[Tagging] When should a name:* translation be used?

sabas88 sabas88 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 18:24:11 GMT 2012

2012/1/30 Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>

>> It is quite frequent that the names of the more famous places get
>> translated into different languages. I don't speak Vietnamese, but
>> this looks like nothing particularily strange to me. If you need a
>> reason to keep it: I guess the Vietnamese speaking people will find it
>> useful ;-)
>>

> The question is how far we go. Should every Main Street be translated into
> hundreds of languages?

Every Main St is a famous road? :)

Regarding roads I couldn't say many examples of roads with a translated
name (of course a literal translation is possible but it's not very useful
if that translation isn't established), perhaps the Champs Elysèes in Paris.
It's more common for other toponyms like cities (Genova/Genes/Genoa/Genua
for instance).
And if I guessed correctly one could see the local name and the translated
name on the map (an Italian user built a map in his regional language based
on this idea).

Stefano

PS I didn't see a translation in italian for Orange County, perhaps
vietnamese people refer to the county with a translated name :)