[Tagging] Tagging u-turn restriction with continuous painted line

Markus Lindholm markus.lindholm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 14:38:57 BST 2012

On 3 July 2012 15:20, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/7/3 Markus Lindholm <markus.lindholm at gmail.com>:
>> In my opinion the most straight forward is to treat legal separation
>> (i.e. solid line) the same way as physical separation, that is to have
>> two ways, one in each direction.
>

> if you make no distinction at all this has the problem that you will
> get worse results for other use cases (pedestrians, emergency
> vehicles, bankrobbers, ...). IMHO it is important to be able to
> differentiate between "not possible" (physically) and "not legal". You
> could associate the two ways with a relation (i.e. lane-mapping, e.g.
> area relation), but I feel that is would somehow be overkill. Why not
> a simple tag that says: there is a solid line between the two opposing
> lanes (-> divider).

Physical separation doesn't necessarily mean that it's impossible to
cross, it might be no more than a 20cm high curb that an emergency
vehicle or a SUV easily could cross.

I still think it's more straight forward to map as two separate ways
than to add tags to provide a logically consistent view about how to
drive from A to B in a legal way. Bank robbers and emergency vehicle
drivers make anyway their own decision on the spot.

And about pedestrians, I add sidewalks around such street and tag the
street with foot=no.

/Markus