[Tagging] Extended Conditions - response to votes

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu Jul 5 13:59:33 BST 2012

On 05.07.2012 14:03, Martin Vonwald wrote:
> Am 05.07.2012 um 13:25 schrieb Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de>:
>
>> There could occasionally be an issue with the value length limit, though.
>
> That's what IMO is the limiting factor. And I don't think at the database limit, but instead on the willingness of people to read/write extremely long values.

But those very long values would only appear for unusually complex
restrictions. I expect situations with more than 1-2 conditions to be
very rare. Do you disagree with that assumption?

On a more general note, we should always be aware that all of the
possible solutions for this problem have some downsides. We cannot just
discard an idea when we find one flaw. We need to identify the solution
whose flaws matter the least in practice.