[Tagging] Extended Conditions - response to votes

Martin Vonwald (Imagic) imagic.osm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 21:49:30 BST 2012

Am 05.07.2012 um 14:59 schrieb Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de>:

> On 05.07.2012 14:03, Martin Vonwald wrote:
>> Am 05.07.2012 um 13:25 schrieb Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de>:
>>
>>> There could occasionally be an issue with the value length limit, though.
>>
>> That's what IMO is the limiting factor. And I don't think at the database limit, but instead on the willingness of people to read/write extremely long values.
>
> But those very long values would only appear for unusually complex
> restrictions. I expect situations with more than 1-2 conditions to be
> very rare. Do you disagree with that assumption?

No, I agree with you. But even two conditions may result in very long values, e.g. think of some time restrictions!

> On a more general note, we should always be aware that all of the
> possible solutions for this problem have some downsides.

100% correct.

> We cannot just
> discard an idea when we find one flaw. We need to identify the solution
> whose flaws matter the least in practice.

100% correct. But I have the feeling that the extended conditions proposal is not the solution whose flaws matter the least. But as I also don't have the perfect solution in my pocket I will not oppose it. However I hope that no solution is approved and instead the discussion is restarted and kept alive until a good solution is found. I hope it but it doubt the latter.

Regards,
Martin