[Tagging] drinkable vs. drinking_water

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 13:45:47 BST 2012

2012/7/21 David ``Smith'' <vidthekid at gmail.com>:
> public parks, and on many trucks and railcars.  On the other hand, I'd never
> heard of a "trunk road" before joining OSM.  I still don't know any
> objective way to tell the difference between trunk, primary, secondary,
> tertiary, and unclassified roads

The basic idea is that of a hierarchic grid, where primary are the
principal "ordinary" roads (those that do not have slip ramps but
crossings), usually connecting the bigger cities and towns or other
very important places , secondary are "one step in hierarchy below"
primaries and tertiary roads are even less in the hierarchy, least of
all connection roads are "unclassified" roads. You will get a feeling
for what is a primary and what is a secondary or tertiary road if you
look at the traffic flow in an area. You can often see from crossings
which road is the more important one.

Trunk roads don't exist in Italy or Germany either as official
classification (at least not with this term). They are roads that do
have slip ramps but are not motorways and usually do not have traffic
light controlled intersections or ordinary intersections (with maybe
the exception of service roads)  (that's what we use them for in Italy
and Germany).

cheers,
Martin