[Tagging] tagging awards and ratings

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jul 26 23:11:06 BST 2012

Hi,

On 26.07.2012 23:57, Alan Mintz wrote:
>> It is possible that the organisation publishing the ratings has some
>> sort of copyright or database right to them. For example I don't think
>> it will be legal to copy TripAdvisor ratings into OSM.
>
> This may be an FAQ, but if a shop posts their awards in public view,
> don't we have fair use to note it in our data, much like a photographer
> has a right to photograph, or a news reporter has a right to report,
> something in public view?

At least in Germany, a photographer may not photograph anything in
public view and claim ownership; it is possible that photographing e.g.
a work of art and then using that photo requires consent from the rights
holder even though the object was in public view.

But that is a kind of arcane rule that I'd tend to ignore. If the hotel
boasts its Michelin rating at the door then I think we can map it.

However, hotels that have their TripAdvisor rating displayed at the door
are probably rare; and I think that lifting the rating off the
TripAdvisor site is not acceptable.

> Lastly, what about health-department grades, created and (usually)
> published by public agencies - something I'd like to import and update
> locally at least?

Don't do that. Keep them in a separate database and link to OSM objects.
We don't want copies of third-party data in OSM, Remember, OSM is not a
distribution system for third-party data.

Bye
Frederik