[Tagging] tagging awards and ratings

Thu Jul 26 23:28:40 BST 2012

At 2012-07-26 15:11, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>On 26.07.2012 23:57, Alan Mintz wrote:
>>>It is possible that the organisation publishing the ratings has some
>>>sort of copyright or database right to them. For example I don't think
>>>it will be legal to copy TripAdvisor ratings into OSM.
>>
>>This may be an FAQ, but if a shop posts their awards in public view,
>>don't we have fair use to note it in our data, much like a photographer
>>has a right to photograph, or a news reporter has a right to report,
>>something in public view?
>
>At least in Germany, a photographer may not photograph anything in public
>view and claim ownership; it is possible that photographing e.g. a work of
>art and then using that photo requires consent from the rights holder even
>though the object was in public view.

I should have said "in the US", in which my statement is, I believe, correct.

>>Lastly, what about health-department grades, created and (usually)
>>published by public agencies - something I'd like to import and update
>>locally at least?
>
>Don't do that. Keep them in a separate database and link to OSM objects.
>We don't want copies of third-party data in OSM, Remember, OSM is not a
>distribution system for third-party data.

How are health-department grades any less important or "third-party" than
awards and other ratings? I can definitely see rendering a little
letter-grade superscript on maps as being unique and helpful when looking
for a restaurant in which to eat.