[Tagging] How to tag a trailer_park ?

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Fri Jul 27 17:19:42 BST 2012

On Fri, 2012-07-27 at 08:28 -0700, Alan Mintz wrote:
> At 2012-07-27 06:54, Werner Poppele wrote:
> >In the US [1] I found some trailer parks tagged landuse=trailer_park. Is
> >that ok ? Any other recommendations ? The tag tourism=camp_site seems to
> >be not quite correct IMHO.
> >
> >taginfo
> >landuse=trailer_park    8
> >amenity=trailer_park    23
> >tourism=camp_site       40196
>
> It depends on what you mean by trailer park. For a place that is rented for
> a short term by the day or week to park your RV or towed camper in, I used
> tourism=caravan_site per
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dcaravan_site .
These are referred to as touring caravan parks.

> For places called "mobile home parks", which are leased by the year (at
> least), in which to semi-permanently place a pre-manufactured (aka mobile)
> home that requires a great deal of work to move, I tag landuse=residential,
> and add it to a relation (with role=boundary) that is tagged:
> type=site
> site=housing
> housing_type=mobile_home
>
> e.g.
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?box=yes&bbox=-117.9384%2C33.63424%2C-117.93623%2C33.63606
>
> These are sometimes grouped together with the first type, usually
> pejoratively. Having stayed in both types of places, they are nothing alike.

There is also a 3rd usage. That is where the mobile home are large and
rarely move, much like a residential trailer park, but they are owned
for holiday/recreational purposes. They tend to have rules about not
being permanently occupied. Often they are sublet for a week, two at a
time. The difference here is nobody is a permanent resident, has postal
deliveries or the address on their driving license (other than any
staff/owners that is).

Phil