[Tagging] Data redundancy with "ref" tag on ways vs relations

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 18:44:57 BST 2012

On Jul 30, 2012, at 10:32 AM, Paweł Paprota wrote:

>> But what leads you to the assumption that the data get's better when we
>> agree to only use ref on relations or only use ref on ways?
>
> Well my logic is simple - less duplication = less data to maintain =
> more time mappers can spend on checking the quality of the data.

this logic is completely flawed. humans are not robots working on a list of problems to solve. As you learned from your experiment there is a inconsistency and now you can work to fix it. This is how osm works and it is great that you help to make it better. the more redundancy the more automated checks can be done to find errors. BUT … see below

> If I understand your points correctly and follow the logic - introducing
> "ref" on nodes would make users triple check the data and consuming
> software would have a third source of ref data which would be better.

no, that's again wrong logic.  there is a lot of gray between black and withe.
Humans will just stop being interested if you flood them with stupid cumbersome work. It's all about motivation and it's not possible to motivate by offering senseless challenges without any reward.