[Tagging] Data redundancy with "ref" tag on ways vs relations

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 10:23:18 BST 2012

2012/7/31 Peter Wendorff <wendorff at uni-paderborn.de>:
> If you ever worked with mappers who do mapping in their spare time and are
> not digital natives, programmers or database geeks, you will have seen some
> who don't touch stuff as soon as it's too complex: Better keep the wrong
> data than to break something that of course is cool, but I don't understand
> why it's cool and how it works.

This is something a lot people around here forget too easily. And no,
we should not "train" those people to use "cool geek-stuff". Because
those people map out of fun. If OSM needs training they quit. Very
simple. That's why mapping must stay simple, because the other side -
the processing of the data - is done by our (as you called it so
perfectly) "digital natives, programmers or database geeks". So yes,
we can and should put the heavy load on them and not on the average
guy out there. The alternative is great completely consistent data
that nearly processes itself just by magic - but incomplete, outdated
and simple useless because we are missing a lot of mappers.

Martin