[Tagging] Data redundancy with "ref" tag on ways vs relations

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" xificurk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 11:12:50 BST 2012

Peter Wendorff wrote:
> Am 31.07.2012 10:33, schrieb "Petr Morávek [Xificurk]":
>> If he knows for sure, that on that road from point A to point B is
>> ref=42 and not ref=56 as the OSM data says, then the user should fix
>> it as I wrote in previous email. Remove the ways from the current
>> relation and add the correct ref tag to the ways themselves, or create
>> a new relation for them. Problem fixed!
> Hooray!
> now we have a relation that's incomplete again - how to use it?

What do you mean incomplete? You can use it the same way as before, the
old relation retains the latest known data about the other ways.

> It's hard to see these changes.

You can see it on the rendered map, in navigation SW, in QA tools, what
more do you want? I don't get it.

>> Note, that if the edit was mistake after all, then QA tool analyzing
>> road network should catch that.
> How should it do that?

The graph structure of the road has changed.

>> If he's not really sure about his data, but wants to alert locals
>> "hey, here may be something wrong", then he should use FIXME tag as
>> for any other dispute.
> FIXME isn't for dispute, but for "I don't know how to change it or I
> don't have the time to do so now."

Excuse me, I choose a bad word. To your list I would add a reason. But
generally it's used as a way to alert locals or someone more experienced
to take a look at the place and correct possible errors.

>> -- If I understood your scenario correctly, it can be summarized as:
>> "Let's use conflicting ref tags for road disputes instead of fixme
>> tag." Personally, I don't support this view.
> No. I never said something like that.

I never said you did, I responded to the mail from Kytömaa Lauri.

Best regards,
Petr Morávek