[Tagging] Ferry routes, what's the correct approach?

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Jul 31 18:14:40 BST 2012

This thread has prompted me to look at the ferry routes around the UK,
and why only certain one are working.

The biggest problems I have found, and so far fixed, are not the ferry
routes themselves but the access within the ports. A lot of access roads
have been tagged to prohibit access (private and the like) thus
preventing access the the ferry. The other big problem I have found is
gates not being tagged as 'access=yes'.

So far I have managed to fix the Holyhead-Dublin/Dunlaoghaire. I did
notice a bit of an edit war has been going on with the Holyhead loading
ramp for the Holyhead-Dunlaoghaire ferry, where several mappers have
done what I have done (fix routing), and the same mapper has come back
and again tagged the access ramp/roads as private thus destroying the
mapping, will keep an eye on it.

Phil