[Tagging] New access tag value needed?

Martin Vonwald (Imagic) imagic.osm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 18:02:58 BST 2012

Am 01.06.2012 um 15:01 schrieb Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl>:
> On 01/06/2012 14:19, Jason Cunningham wrote:
>>
>> On 1 June 2012 08:09, Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But we have to make sure, that this values are only applied if real
>> indications (e.g. signposts) are present and not e.g. if one just
>> thinks that some vehicle can not drive there.
>>
>> The example given is within the UK. Within the UK signs or signposts haver no 'status' unless they're listed within official documents and linked to legislation. I am confident this "unsuitable for HGVs" sign has no legislative status. It's existence may be due to local residents asking their local politician to find a way to 'stop' HGV's following satnavs down this road because the noise reduces they're enjoyment of their evening cocktails (Very unlikely, but a possibility). Therefore it's more than possible that an 'unsuitable status sign' may refer to a road that is very suitable. People or business will place signs adjacent to UK roads in rural areas which attempt to alter the actions of drivers, and we should not map these.
>>
> And if these signs are placed by the highway authority? I think these most definitely do have a place in OSM. It's then up to the data consumers whether they attach any value to them. By making the data available, we are enabling  e.g. HGV routing programs to take these hints into account. Without these hints, trucks may be directed down "unsuitable" routes. The political process leading to their erection is not important - only their existence. Political pressure has a large influence on speed limits as well.

You are both correct in my opinion. As I wrote earlier this doesn't "feel" like something that belongs into an access tag to me especially as you are still allowed to use that specific way. But if those signs have some official character they should have a place in OSM. What do you think about using some other key for this?

Martin