[Tagging] New access tag value needed?

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Fri Jun 1 20:20:40 BST 2012

On Fri, 2012-06-01 at 19:02 +0200, Martin Vonwald (Imagic) wrote:
> Am 01.06.2012 um 15:01 schrieb Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl>:
>
> > On 01/06/2012 14:19, Jason Cunningham wrote:
> > > On 1 June 2012 08:09, Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >         But we have to make sure, that this values are only
> > >         applied if real
> > >         indications (e.g. signposts) are present and not e.g. if
> > >         one just
> > >         thinks that some vehicle can not drive there.
> > >
> > > The example given is within the UK. Within the UK signs or
> > > signposts haver no 'status' unless they're listed within official
> > > documents and linked to legislation. I am confident this
> > > "unsuitable for HGVs" sign has no legislative status. It's
> > > existence may be due to local residents asking their local
> > > politician to find a way to 'stop' HGV's following satnavs down
> > > this road because the noise reduces they're enjoyment of their
> > > evening cocktails (Very unlikely, but a possibility). Therefore
> > > it's more than possible that an 'unsuitable status sign' may refer
> > > to a road that is very suitable. People or business will place
> > > signs adjacent to UK roads in rural areas which attempt to alter
> > > the actions of drivers, and we should not map these.
> > >

> > And if these signs are placed by the highway authority? I think
> > these most definitely do have a place in OSM. It's then up to the
> > data consumers whether they attach any value to them. By making the
> > data available, we are enabling  e.g. HGV routing programs to take
> > these hints into account. Without these hints, trucks may be
> > directed down "unsuitable" routes. The political process leading to
> > their erection is not important - only their existence. Political
> > pressure has a large influence on speed limits as well.
>

> You are both correct in my opinion. As I wrote earlier this doesn't
> "feel" like something that belongs into an access tag to me especially
> as you are still allowed to use that specific way. But if those signs
> have some official character they should have a place in OSM. What do
> you think about using some other key for this?

The blue 'Unsuitable for HGVS' and 'Unsuitable for Motors' signs are
placed by the highway authority, i.e. local councils, which maintain all
UK roads except for Trunk roads and Motorways.

They do not prohibit vehicles from using the roads, and certainly with
the 'Unsuitable for Motors' usability will depend on all sorts of
things, such as type of vehicle, ground clearance, skill of the driver,
the weather and recent weather. A 4x4 will usually be ok, and a low
ground clearance Ferrari will struggle with many roads a normal car will
clear easily. But I can think of at least one that is probably there so
noisy cars don't spoil the summer cocktails as I can see nothing along
that (single track road) that makes it unsuitable or in any way
difficult, or any more difficult than any of the others in this area.

Phil