[Tagging] Mapping larger Mini-roundabouts

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 07:48:57 BST 2012

I was away most of last month, and missed most of the discussion of mini
and normal roundabouts.  However, looking at the wiki now, from what I can
tell the differences now are

-Roundabouts can be mapped as a way or node (though way is preferred), mini
roundabouts only as a node
-Roundabouts cannot be traversable, mini-roundabouts must be

So what do I do about a roundabout that has been mapped out as a way, but
is traversable?  This weekend I ran across a couple of new (to me)
traversable roundabouts on a street that used to have normal intersections.
 When I checked to see if they have been updated, they have been mapped as
roundabout ways. However, both these roundabouts are fully traversable, in
fact I saw a bus go across one.  How should this be tagged?  I
don't particularly want to remove the mapped way to tag as a node - if it
wasn't mapped as a way and was a normal capped roundabout I'd probably be
mapping it as a way myself.  Can we use a way marked as mini-roundabout?

Photo of one of these here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21448164/IMG_0169C.jpg

Or another idea - since there are many mini-roundabouts tagged that aren't
really, so the tag is quite polluted at this time, and the only big
difference I can see now is if it is traversable or not, maybe we should
ignore mini-roundabout all together, just use roundabout and
traversable=yes/no.

Stephen