[Tagging] Mapping larger Mini-roundabouts

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Wed Jun 6 08:42:38 BST 2012

Am 06.06.2012 09:13, schrieb Martin Vonwald:
> IMO tagging a mini - no matter how large it is - as a way would be
> inconsistent with our way we map (most?) features.
-1
> When mapping a
> street, we draw the way where one can drive/go. On a normal roundabout
> you can not drive in the middle, that's why we map it as circle. We
> agreed on junction=roundabout on a node just for the sake of
> simplicity, because otherwise people who don't want to draw circles
> tag them with mini_roundabout and our data quality suffers.
>
> Contrary on a mini-roundabout you can drive in the middle (ignoring
> any legal restrictions now), that's why we don't draw a loop but just
> a junction and add the tag highway=mini_roundabout to the junction
> node. Drawing it as a loop would be imo inconsistent.
>
> If you want to specify the dimension of the mini-roundabout I think it
> would be sufficient to specify the width of the approaching roads.
For highway=pedestrian, at platforms and many other things we allow to
add area=yes to a feature to turn a circular way (ring) to a circular
area (filled area, polygon).
If - and that's in fact more or less the result of the discussions we
had in the last days - the difference between mini roundabouts and
roundabouts is the traversability of the center part, I would say,
mapping a mini roundabout as a way would in theory be sufficient without
area=yes, because area=yes would be implied.
On the other hand I would propose to add area=yes to avoid confusion
both at data consumer side as well as on mapper side (yes, they MEANT it
to be a mini roundabout, I guess, because they knew it's an area without
obstacle in the middle).

regards
Peter