[Tagging] Mapping larger Mini-roundabouts

Ilpo Järvinen ilpo.jarvinen at helsinki.fi
Wed Jun 6 08:28:36 BST 2012

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Martin Vonwald wrote:

> IMO tagging a mini - no matter how large it is - as a way would be
> inconsistent with our way we map (most?) features. When mapping a
> street, we draw the way where one can drive/go. On a normal roundabout
> you can not drive in the middle, that's why we map it as circle. We
> agreed on junction=roundabout on a node just for the sake of
> simplicity, because otherwise people who don't want to draw circles
> tag them with mini_roundabout and our data quality suffers.
>
> Contrary on a mini-roundabout you can drive in the middle (ignoring
> any legal restrictions now), that's why we don't draw a loop but just
> a junction and add the tag highway=mini_roundabout to the junction
> node. Drawing it as a loop would be imo inconsistent.
>
> If you want to specify the dimension of the mini-roundabout I think it
> would be sufficient to specify the width of the approaching roads.

Would there be any problem in drawing normal roundabout way + mini area
for the center area (as an optional alternative to the node only
approach)? ...Enforcing node only for mini_roundabout seems too
restrictive (The same problem exists with quite many tags actually, and
then somebody "fixes" those because "wiki says that it must be of certain
object type" regardless of whether the more physical approach makes more
sense or no).

--
 i.