[Tagging] Ref tag

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 12:01:10 BST 2012

2012/6/19 Ronnie Soak <chaoschaos0909 at googlemail.com>:
> Ok, you are right. I'm just wondering why the country classifier is used on
> so many other tags and not on this one.

Is it? I don't recall lots of tags with country classifiers. Language
codes a quite frequent, country codes aren't, especially not in keys.

Omitting them facilitates evaluation and maintenance: the country is
already implicit (boundaries). We could also tag name:DE for names in
Germany, but we decided to use name for the usual name (in the country
where the feature is) and the same applies to ref. In case a country
changes you would have to retag everything.

cheers,
Martin